Chardonnay, Vodka-Cran, Bud-Light…SCRATCH. A well-balanced bar is a must have for any stylish event. When planning your next soirée consider a curated selection of favorite wines and craft brews along with two signature cocktails. Wines and beers should be paired properly with your appetizer or dinner menu while the signature cocktail is the perfect way to add a unique and personal touch to your event with endless possibilities in taste and color.
When considering signature cocktails, remember that any drink can go terribly wrong if too many different flavors are combined. Keep it simple with one or two liquors with one or two fruits and maybe an herb or spice. Stop there.
Also, be wary of sugary cocktails. Although they are picture perfect, guests will indulge in one or two at most, especially if they are served before dinner. Your wallet will also thank you as this limits the amount of budget spent on the wide assortment of liquor you would need for an open bar while still offering your guests something special and out of the ordinary.
Color of the Year for 2014: Radiant Orchid
Fashion week has made its debut and according to Pantone and the fashion report radiant orchid has made the cut for this year's color trend. The lavender shade can be complimented with vibrant pinks, golds, and ivories.
Whether a refreshing lavender lemonade or a little bit of bubbly garnished with lavender from a local purveyor like Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm on Maui, drinks accented with lavender are delightful to see, smell, and taste!
Lavender Linen Chair Sash
Adorn your guests' chiavari chairs with bold lavender linen chair sash and you will create an event atmosphere with a royal flair.
"Radiant Orchid" Inspired Sweet Treats
Desserts, like drinks, embellished in lavender provide another triple treat to the senses. This particular dessert is called a lavender verrine. "Verrine" comes from verre, the French word for glass. A Verrine is an impressive appetizer or dazzling dessert elegantly presented in a petit glass.
For a slightly lighter dessert, think macarons.
Nothing says full throttle FUN like donuts. Freshly made delicious donuts add an element of merriment to any occasion - especially a morning or brunch event!
“Can you make my wedding rustic AND modern?” That was a design challenge presented to me last week and the solution…GHOST CHAIRS! Because the ghost chair is overtly modern with its clean lines, curves and transparent surface, they provide the perfect contrast for the bride-to-be that longs for a natural looking wedding but is nervous of heading into backyard barn territory.
Ghost chairs pair exceptionally well with neutral wood tones and loose floral arrangements and if the look is too soft for your taste, simply add in more modern elements like square plates or incorporate deep purple hues & fuchsia tones.
The best part is that they ARE available here in Hawaii so be sure to ask us how you can incorporate them into your event.
Happy New Year! With 2014 upon us I wanted to give you some insight into the top themes & trends in the industry for this year. Here we go:
1. Whimsical Woodland – This trend has been steadily rising over the past few years but will be taking on a more refined look in 2014. This trend seems to surge every time a Tolkien inspired movie is released. Look for dresses featuring floral accents and vines, natural wood furniture & flower designs that are loose and natural, containing lots of ferns and foliage. Simple flower crowns made from a single strand of tiny blooms have made a comeback and are the perfect finishing touch to complete the look.
2. Belle of the Ball – As we’ve mentioned before, television & movies have a strong influence on wedding trends. Shows like NBC’s Dracula glamorize balls & opulent celebrations. Think ball gowns, diamonds & pearls. Historic sites featuring old world architecture will become the “must-have” venue.
3. Web-only Wedding – As technology becomes more integrated into our everyday lives we are seeing more young couples shy from formal printed invites. Wedding apps, online registries & email invites are a rising trend that I don’t see fading anytime soon. This one makes me a bit sad because nothing beats receiving a formal invite in the mail. But, for the busy tech bride, these options are sure to make collecting rsvps a breeze.
4. Grecian –The surge of Gatsby inspired weddings last year was seen far and wide but the trend for 2014 will be to strip it back. Brides will be looking for Old World elegance but without all the frills…put those feathers and pearls down ladies. Think fabric draping and opulent tableware for a refined look.
With all these amazing trends 2014 looks to be an exciting year!
The Christmas season has officially begun! I’ve been a busy elf decorating trees, garlands and wreaths so I wanted to share some of the great finds I came across this year to help you make this Christmas a little more festive:
1. Lowes – Fresh garland: Elegant and affordable! Pick up a piece or two to use as a simple but stately table runner. It is lush enough to stand on its own or accent it with ornaments, pine cones, etc.
2. Costco – LED pillar candles: These are a fantastic (and safe) way to add ambient light to your entertaining space. Best of all, they have a remote control so you can light the room all at once!
3. Walmart – Glitter Blast spray paint: Because glitter makes everything better! This stuff is magic and it doesn’t flake off as easily as you’d think. I’ve sprayed branches, ornaments, leaves and even a mason jar & it worked well on all surfaces. For bigger items I sprayed a metallic undercoat before applying the glitter spray for a richer look.
4. Pier 1 – Mercury glass: Because mercury glass is so trendy these days you can find this distinct look in candle holders and vases. Mix and match a variety of unique patterns and textures for an eclectic but classy look.
5. Bed Bath & Beyond – Place mats: Extremely affordable with an impressive variety of patterns and shapes. Go for the metallic & your candlelight will have more surfaces to reflect off. Your table will literally sparkle!